These were for me the five best films of the year. 2017 was not the richest year in terms of cinema quality, in my opinion, but fortunately we always have “something” to cheer ourselves up. This is a matter of opinion, and I’m sure there are a lot of other good movies I didn’t get the chance to see (but I will!) that maybe are even better than these. May you forgive me the absence of “Mother!”, but for me it doesn’t deserve to be here. I Hope next year will be better.
1. Lady Bird
5. Get Out
1. Lady BirdIt touches our hearts. This is the story of a young girl, trying to deal with all those teenage problems, to please her mother and find herself. It is not easy to grow up, but it is definitely easy to enjoy this film. Good cast, good script and good message.
2. DunkirkIt is the World War II and this film follows an evacuation operation that has saved the lives of more than 300,000 Allied soldiers. It is a debut for Christopher Nolan as a screenwriter. The movie is tecnicaly very good and the story keeps the audience.
3. LoganLogan is a superhero movie and sometimes this can be a problem. But not this time. Daphne Keen is the soul of Logan. In the script, her character is the motivator that makes the plot spin. Hugh Jackman is sublime (no surprises), but the young woman is a true found, her charisma impresses, blending perfectly the savagery and violence implied in the character, with the sweetness of a child in the age of 10.
4. OkjaWith excellent special effects, it gets to out hearts throught our eyes, Okja is able, not only to entertain, but also to question a reality so present in the contemporary world. It is interesting to note that, even in its ending, the film does not surrender to the easy exit of good intentions. Great movie, to see, have fun and reflect.
5. Get OutWhat a surprise to see a horror/terror/mystery movie around here, no? This one is good. The atmosphere of the film is provocarive, leaving those who are watching apprehensive for the destiny of the protagonist. We have all the elements: the isolated house, in the middle of nowhere, the protagonist that does not fit into the context, characters acting in a strange way... More than this the film is good because it puts us in the perspective of the protagonist. And also because the final is very well orchestrated. With violence to the exact extent, the end is a catharsis.